The photos are of Ely Chapel, St Etheldreda’s Church, a 13th century church once the London chapel of the Bishops of Ely, Cambridgeshire. It is the only surviving London building from the reign of Edward I (1239-1307). Although a Roman Catholic church again since 1874, in 1836-7, it was an Anglican Church, in the care of Alexander d’Arblay. After its purchase in 1874, the church and crypt were restored by noted architect George Gilbert Scott.
The latest in a sequence of lists of recently-read books. The books are listed in reverse chronological order, with the most recently-read book at the top.
- Dan Shanahan : Camelot Eclipsed: Connecting the Dots. Independently published.
- China Mieville : October: The Story of the Russian Revolution. UK: Verso.
- Joshua Rubenstein (Editor) : The KGB File of Andrei Sakharov. USA: Yale University Press.
- Henry Hemming : M: Maxwell Knight, MI5’s Greatest Spymaster. UK: Preface Publishing.
- Evelyn Waugh : Edmund Campion, Jesuit and Martyr. UK: Longmans.
- Alison Barrett : View from my Tower: Letters from Prague, March 1985 – May 1988. A fascinating series of letters from wife of the British Ambassador to members of her family about her time in Prague, in the period of stasis just before the Velvet Revolution.
- John O Koehler : Stasi: The Untold Story of the East German Secret Police. USA: Basic Books.